State Meet Reflections
10/21/2012 2:04:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Really good state meet; lots of interesting individual and team results. [i]Interested to hear some of the stories, individual or team placings from the state meet that don't make the headlines in the South Dakota newspapers. [/i] [i]Surprise finishes/random comments:[/i][u][/u] [b]Class B: [/b]Gavill-Volin's Genevieve Clark crushing the field was a shock. She beat some very talented Ipswich girls, including 5:04 miler, Heintz. I think Lyman was probably a surprise 3rd in the girl's race. Bison's Burkhalter (7th grader) is very, very good- 17:56 for 5th on a day when the times were slowed in all races, was excellent. [b]Class A:[/b] Didn't see Spearfish coming in top 3; Custer ran really well for 2nd without Herman. What people might not see is that they even ran without Patrick Witt, Brennan's younger brother. P. Witt is legit, probably would have been Top 20 at the state meet. Custer is the early favorite for next season. Madison ran well and got their championship. Yager/Burns 1-2 was probably a shock to everyone East River- these guys are legit. Emily Hawkes was a surprise winner- not that she hadn't raced well this season, but because a lot of the talk seemed to be on the Spearfish duo possibly going 1-2. Spearfish has to be happy with Elise Reid, sort of an unsung hero for the Spartans with her big 9th place run. Madison scores 99 points and only gets 6th...deep Class A field. Custer probably peaked the best in this race- Karen Karim does a great job getting her teams running well. [b]Class AA:[/b] Woods and Kruse just dominated the individual field. Woods went 14:40 after running 5:3x with the lead pack through the first mile- a fast first mile which severely dropped several runners that probably would have been Top 15. Woods ran the same time on the course that Tamara Gorman ran in 2010 when she qualified for the Nike National Meet. Can Kruse pull another big race out @ Nike Heartland? Kyle Burdick was probably the biggest surprise on the guys side- had not raced since the Huron Invite in September, he was 3rd in 16:14. Caleb Diggs' 5th place finish was also an eye-opener. Comments, additions please!
Really good state meet; lots of interesting individual and team results.

Interested to hear some of the stories, individual or team placings from the state meet that don't make the headlines in the South Dakota newspapers.

Surprise finishes/random comments:

Class B: Gavill-Volin's Genevieve Clark crushing the field was a shock. She beat some very talented Ipswich girls, including 5:04 miler, Heintz. I think Lyman was probably a surprise 3rd in the girl's race.

Bison's Burkhalter (7th grader) is very, very good- 17:56 for 5th on a day when the times were slowed in all races, was excellent.

Class A: Didn't see Spearfish coming in top 3; Custer ran really well for 2nd without Herman. What people might not see is that they even ran without Patrick Witt, Brennan's younger brother. P. Witt is legit, probably would have been Top 20 at the state meet. Custer is the early favorite for next season. Madison ran well and got their championship. Yager/Burns 1-2 was probably a shock to everyone East River- these guys are legit.

Emily Hawkes was a surprise winner- not that she hadn't raced well this season, but because a lot of the talk seemed to be on the Spearfish duo possibly going 1-2. Spearfish has to be happy with Elise Reid, sort of an unsung hero for the Spartans with her big 9th place run. Madison scores 99 points and only gets 6th...deep Class A field. Custer probably peaked the best in this race- Karen Karim does a great job getting her teams running well.

Class AA: Woods and Kruse just dominated the individual field. Woods went 14:40 after running 5:3x with the lead pack through the first mile- a fast first mile which severely dropped several runners that probably would have been Top 15. Woods ran the same time on the course that Tamara Gorman ran in 2010 when she qualified for the Nike National Meet. Can Kruse pull another big race out @ Nike Heartland?

Kyle Burdick was probably the biggest surprise on the guys side- had not raced since the Huron Invite in September, he was 3rd in 16:14. Caleb Diggs' 5th place finish was also an eye-opener.

Comments, additions please!
10/22/2012 1:08:35 PM
User
Class B: I would agree Clarks win was a surprise--Ipswiches dominance wasn't. And although Jongling's show boating isn't very attractive, he can flat out run. Class A: Madison boys 4, 5, and 6 runners were dealing with illness or injury of some type. But their number 4 hung in there enough to ensure the win (31st, team). Madison boys also dealt with not having one of their best runners from previous seasons (Sullivan). The senior elected to recover from "basketball back" this fall instead of run, but they filled in nicely. On the girls side, Hawkes said she probably had another 10-15 seconds in her but didn't want to spend it and then not have enough to outkick Childers--who usually has a good finish. They shared the lead at 3000m. Childers never brought it and faded. But Lavin (Vermillion) didn't and finished a strong 2nd. I'll be interested to see how she does in the next year or two. I would have liked to see Cody Herman (C) run. I suspect he'll bring it with a vengence come track season in the 3200m and the boys 4x800. AA: I was surprised not to see Brandon girls in the top 5. I'm sure something was wrong with Nitz. Wish her well. Boys-- we all knew that DeHaven would win. But the Lammers boys moving in from Oregon was a Godsend to the Brookings team. Justice Lammers is only a soph and placed in the top 10. His dad grew up in Colton and so they're not SD strangers. Lammers has a younger brother who didn't run state varsity this year but will be good. Brookings boys lose only one scorer and will be looking for a state title next year.
Class B: I would agree Clarks win was a surprise--Ipswiches dominance wasn't. And although Jongling's show boating isn't very attractive, he can flat out run.

Class A: Madison boys 4, 5, and 6 runners were dealing with illness or injury of some type. But their number 4 hung in there enough to ensure the win (31st, team). Madison boys also dealt with not having one of their best runners from previous seasons (Sullivan). The senior elected to recover from "basketball back" this fall instead of run, but they filled in nicely. On the girls side, Hawkes said she probably had another 10-15 seconds in her but didn't want to spend it and then not have enough to outkick Childers--who usually has a good finish. They shared the lead at 3000m. Childers never brought it and faded. But Lavin (Vermillion) didn't and finished a strong 2nd. I'll be interested to see how she does in the next year or two. I would have liked to see Cody Herman (C) run. I suspect he'll bring it with a vengence come track season in the 3200m and the boys 4x800.

AA: I was surprised not to see Brandon girls in the top 5. I'm sure something was wrong with Nitz. Wish her well. Boys-- we all knew that DeHaven would win. But the Lammers boys moving in from Oregon was a Godsend to the Brookings team. Justice Lammers is only a soph and placed in the top 10. His dad grew up in Colton and so they're not SD strangers. Lammers has a younger brother who didn't run state varsity this year but will be good. Brookings boys lose only one scorer and will be looking for a state title next year.
10/23/2012 7:00:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Corbyn]Class B: I would agree Clarks win was a surprise--Ipswiches dominance wasn't. And although Jongling's show boating isn't very attractive, he can flat out run. Class A: Madison boys 4, 5, and 6 runners were dealing with illness or injury of some type. But their number 4 hung in there enough to ensure the win (31st, team). Madison boys also dealt with not having one of their best runners from previous seasons (Sullivan). The senior elected to recover from "basketball back" this fall instead of run, but they filled in nicely. On the girls side, Hawkes said she probably had another 10-15 seconds in her but didn't want to spend it and then not have enough to outkick Childers--who usually has a good finish. They shared the lead at 3000m. Childers never brought it and faded. But Lavin (Vermillion) didn't and finished a strong 2nd. I'll be interested to see how she does in the next year or two. I would have liked to see Cody Herman (C) run. I suspect he'll bring it with a vengence come track season in the 3200m and the boys 4x800. AA: I was surprised not to see Brandon girls in the top 5. I'm sure something was wrong with Nitz. Wish her well. Boys-- we all knew that DeHaven would win. But the Lammers boys moving in from Oregon was a Godsend to the Brookings team. Justice Lammers is only a soph and placed in the top 10. His dad grew up in Colton and so they're not SD strangers. Lammers has a younger brother who didn't run state varsity this year but will be good. Brookings boys lose only one scorer and will be looking for a state title next year.[/quote] @Corbyn Hawkes looked like she was jogging (well, that's probably a classic overstatement) BUT...she looked very good with 600m left- up the final hill. The littler Vermillion girl was also in control, but you could see Hawkes was going to take it. As for Nitz, probably just a bad race. The Girls AA race did go out very fast: 5:30's, so I think that may have put some of the girls that were in the very front pack over the edge, it's hard to say. Lamers- good pick for surprise. Gruenhagen has to be happy about him...being they lost one of their guys who chose to do (Vucovich?)road bike-racing or something like that.
Corbyn wrote:
lass B: I would agree Clarks win was a surprise--Ipswiches dominance wasn't. And although Jongling's show boating isn't very attractive, he can flat out run.

Class A: Madison boys 4, 5, and 6 runners were dealing with illness or injury of some type. But their number 4 hung in there enough to ensure the win (31st, team). Madison boys also dealt with not having one of their best runners from previous seasons (Sullivan). The senior elected to recover from "basketball back" this fall instead of run, but they filled in nicely. On the girls side, Hawkes said she probably had another 10-15 seconds in her but didn't want to spend it and then not have enough to outkick Childers--who usually has a good finish. They shared the lead at 3000m. Childers never brought it and faded. But Lavin (Vermillion) didn't and finished a strong 2nd. I'll be interested to see how she does in the next year or two. I would have liked to see Cody Herman (C) run. I suspect he'll bring it with a vengence come track season in the 3200m and the boys 4x800.

AA: I was surprised not to see Brandon girls in the top 5. I'm sure something was wrong with Nitz. Wish her well. Boys-- we all knew that DeHaven would win. But the Lammers boys moving in from Oregon was a Godsend to the Brookings team. Justice Lammers is only a soph and placed in the top 10. His dad grew up in Colton and so they're not SD strangers. Lammers has a younger brother who didn't run state varsity this year but will be good. Brookings boys lose only one scorer and will be looking for a state title next year.

@Corbyn

Hawkes looked like she was jogging (well, that's probably a classic overstatement) BUT...she looked very good with 600m left- up the final hill. The littler Vermillion girl was also in control, but you could see Hawkes was going to take it.

As for Nitz, probably just a bad race. The Girls AA race did go out very fast: 5:30's, so I think that may have put some of the girls that were in the very front pack over the edge, it's hard to say.

Lamers- good pick for surprise. Gruenhagen has to be happy about him...being they lost one of their guys who chose to do (Vucovich?)road bike-racing or something like that.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.